Good morning today. Another fine day in the beach here. So, I have not been working much lately which is awesome, I do not like working. I don't know who does to prefer to spend their time at some filthy job site, but I don't. This week is another one for the record books. This week I was able to get a well rounded workout in, as per our numbers. I made progress on everything this week. It has been about a month since I have been able to claim that. My stick form is coming along so well, that I decided to tear it completely apart and put in some wicked new moves, that I learnt at class on Wednesday night. So, on Friday, I had two, sometimes three of my own forms running through my head, then throw the added stress of that demo and I was all over the map. I consistently forgot my new and old moves, so I worked the form the best I could. I was getting real upset with myself, about messing up my form. To try to combat this, I, simply just stopped trying to fight my new form and worked the old one during the demo. But, with having experienced the demo a few times, I have a great idea of what to expect, with these forms. So, I am able to try and fit my form to the music. Using the tools we were given Friday night. Like when to stop and start as per the music. I can try to create this form so it works well with the music. I am very confident that with practice and time, this new form will fit the spot I have been assigned. Also, I understand that I may have to move my form from spot to spot in the demo and I have taken that into account as well. I hope to have this form come out as incredibly versatile. I hope it is as awesome as what is running through my head. I look at my stick form like this, It is the same form, just looking at the situation differently. Same four opponents, almost the same attacking order, just a different circumstance at hand. Honestly though, I really just enjoy creating forms and combos. That is a lot of fun. It is. Trying to take out these imaginary opponents with creative, but effective strikes and spins. I haven't lost a fight yet against the shadows, but they are getting good. They know what I am doing before I do!! But seriously, I do enjoy creating forms. I get to see first hand at how well, I understand my techniques, weapons, and kung fu. It is really cool. I have all sorts of notes and scribbles about new moves, old moves, abandoned moves, moves I yet to try. I am excited for this form again. It is gonna be real sweet.
Been a fairly quiet week, for me. Nothing to spectacular this week. Built some shelves out of an old crib we had kicking in the garage, and some yard work. Lots of kung fu and lots of family time. With this next week coming up, there are a few things coming to an end. Kung fu in onoway will be shutting down for the summer (boo!), but I get to come to stony plain for classes, soon. That's swell. I do enjoy coming to stony to train, despite the travel and lost family time. I do enjoy seeing everyone in class, and it is nice to experience some of the other instructors and their view points on different topics in class. If it were not for summer time I would miss the opportunity to work with different people. So I look forward to learning something for lots of you in class.
Sifu's words are still resonating in my ears. The opportunities we have here, the extra-ordinariness of our lives and of I Ho Chaun. That was a very powerful message. I do not have a lot to say about this today, as I am still processing the conversation. Quickly, though, the whole mastery process, forces us to be at the top of our game at all times. At least for myself. Lately If I miss an opportunity to be nice to someone, or if I am not training at the intensity that I need to be, I am not completely fulfilling my end of the bargain. I am half-arseing things. That's right we all agreed to take on this challenge. Now we need to keep pushing. Mastery, I feel, has no room for "well, that might be good enough." Or almost there's. Or any other clichés about half efforts. Slowly I am feeling the transformation inside me. If I am doing a gig at work and I feel it is not up to my mastery level ,or awesomeness, it is not good enough. I need to restart and do better. I will get better at getting better. That is inevitable. Like I have heard before: We might be the reason someone signs up for kung fu. We might be the story that changes someone's live. So why not give them the reason or the excuse to change. I don't want anyone to be how I used to be, but I can be used as an example of what we can become. We must be the change we desire to see in others. If anything, we, can show what awesomeness looks like.
Well, until next time sports fans
I am Mr.Duncan
Stay classy Stony Plain
Never let those shadow bad guys beat you down Mr. Duncan. Great post as always, and really cool to see how the mastery project is spilling over into your everyday life as it tends to do!
ReplyDeleteYour numbers were fantastic this week. I can see your confidence build each week. Your excitement is contagious & your personal story is powerful. Keep pushing forward!
ReplyDelete