Sunday, 8 January 2017

lions and dragons and dogs, oh my!

Hey there! It's me it's me Mr.D! Another Sunday rolls upon us and another batch of pancakes, even the dog had one! Took it right out of the youngest hands! While he was walking to the table all proud he just "scoffed" a pancake from dad, then the dog, in one swoop stole wyatts pancake and it's gone! Good, now we get to listen to his allergies kick in. Bane, can not handle flour, pork and other additives! Awesome. Ever had a dog that allergic to everything? Oh the backlash is awesome! The sounds and the smells that come out of a dog with allergies is just great. Especially my one hundred and twenty pound Nancy pouch. Love him.
  Any how, let's get to business. Thursday night was an eye opener. I honestly thought my form was doing not bad. Not bad, I thought to myself. Then the honest critiquing came. And whether the comments where directed at myself or not, I took them to heart. And Sifu Brinker was right. There was no intention, and it did suck. Okay I said to myself, I have to make this not suck. Like right now. Truth is, I've put so much time into the Long form, I didn't give the attention I thought I was to giving to the escrimas. I had the escrimas just flying before Christmas, and just a week later, it fell apart on me. Okay dokay. Well, that tells me, I have far more work to do wto get the escrimas back on top. Here's my big "dilemma". My goal I was shooting for was to have my blue belt by Christmas time. And unfortuanatly, I fell short. I was informed, that Long just wasn't quiet there. That's cool I thought, I can get it there, just need more time. So I laser focused on the Long form, and sidelined escrimas. I thought I was keeping them up, but, alas, I fell short there as well. Wow, I've never dropped the ball so many times in a row. Well, maybe I have, but, this time hurt. I am very confident in my Kung fu and my abilities and I think, that was my down falling here. Over confidence led to a false sense of ability. False abilities clouded my judgement of where my form truly was.
  Alrighty then, lesson learnt. I want my blue belt, I'm there? I don't know, but, hopefully. Long I feel confident with, and escrimas are almost as strong as I want them to be. So, again, back to the balance dilemma. I want both so badly, I just need to properly train. Again, I need to find that balance and achieve it. I've had it before, just need to pay attention and watch what I am doing. So with all the above being said, in th escrima form, I have found a cleaner way to achieve moving into a horsestance, I think. This is the fourth change I think in the last little while. Obviously, I haven't practiced it enough, because it changes just a little bit each time. That tells me, it's more spontaneous than it is practiced. Not cool. Not to worry. But, I will have this sorted out by Thursdays class. That's a Mr.D gaurentee!
   The lion/dragon dance, eh! Wow, that is cool. From what I've seen hiding in the back of a lion! Hard to see anything but feet in front of me!! I've never been in a lion, except, for one parade, for like, five minutes. So, this is awesome. I have wanted to train in the lions, just, never really embraced the opportunity.  I've been working on the footwork, since Saturday afternoon. I am enjoying it. I hope I'm doing the right zombie dance! I think I may have confused my self. But, I will make a call and find out for sure in a few minutes today. My kids think it's hilarious what I'm doing. All hopping around and what not, but, I remind them that a lot of Kung fu, has been derived from dance. So, how you like them apples boys?!?
   I'd like to end around here. I myself have always been really interested in our lineage or history if you will. With the untimely passing of Master Margie Hilbig, I felt I missed an opportunity. Know, I really want to know our history. History is important to me. It's where the traditions are. It's  where we come from. It's who we are. From what little I have done, wow, what an individual! Just an absolutely amazing person, with her tanasity and her un-dying spirit. It's, to be honest, nothing short of inspiring. I never had the chance to meet this woman, and I wish I did, but, in an indirect way, I can still learn her lessons. Through our master instructor and the black belts he has raised. It's up to me, as a student, to indirectly learn her lessons through our teachers. That, is something I can do. I think. Honestly take the lessons we are being taught and grow with them. Take them teachings and turn around and learn how to apply these lessons.
   So in short, I would like to thank all of my teachers, even if it's nothing more than showing me proper lion footwork, or teaching me tai chi forms at rotary park, or showing me knife defence in a school gym, I thank all of you. I now today realize, it's your lessons, that helps make me, well, me! I will make everyone very proud one day. I will show through example of what a determined martial artist can and will do. I may not be joining the team for rooster, but, I kid you not, I will be taking Kung fu to a knew level for myself this upcoming year. I will re-establish myself, as the martial artist I am supposed to be. Which, is miles ahead of where I am today. By god, I have a black belt to achieve and years of knowledge to re-solidify in my mind. After this new year is all wrapped up, look out, because willie wants what willie once had. And there ain't one person on this planet who is going to slow me down., or get in my way. Mentally or physically.

Finally thank you to Master Hilbrig for carving the path for the rest of us. I will never forget and I will do my best to keep the traditions you set forth alive and well.
Thanks for your time folks
Mr.Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment