Thursday, 14 October 2021

Just another day, whatever day it is!

 Hey ya how’s it going? Been a “few days” I suppose since we’ve last spoke. This job is almost done! Super duper close to being all wrapped up. We are like two weeks ahead of schedule and honestly gaining time. 

I haven’t let my foot off the gas on pushing the crew! No, to be honest i have pressed harder on the gas and asked for a little more outta everyone. The crew has responded very well, so far! There’s always one guy whom wants to try to slow the job down for another pay cheque and I’m working on him. Leaning hard on him. I make sure that if this guy is backfilling, I’m watching him! Haha. Willy don’t play games!! 

I haven’t had much time for anything else. My days starts around 5am. Gotta leave by 530. Grab fuel, get my truck loaded with the days materials and then I have a morning meeting with the crew. Now it’s 645-7am. Morning chat, give directions for the days tasks, ask for questions, tell a bad dad joke and off to the races. Typically I’m the first guy on the lease, and so, I do the site walk through, check for vandalism, stolen goods, okay we can start! The boys get to it and my paperwork starts. Safe ditch entries, start cards, steep hill forms to sign, equipment inspections….blah blah blah….okay let’s go already, (730-8ish) I don’t normally stop for morning break (10am) I’ll eat around lunch or if I’m hungry I’ll go get a bite to eat! Most days, I will throw some granola bars in my pocket and a cup of coffee in my back pocket and let’s roll!!! Haha. Noon hits and the days half over! Double check all my paperwork make sure nothing on site has overly changed! Resign and fill out what needs to be updated! Okay get back to work you dogs…afternoon break is at 3pm. Gents have a bite!! Bam! It’s 530-545, and now I’ll cut you loose! But first, we get back to the yard and unload and clean out trucks, throw out the trash, winterized pumps, ensure we get things ready for tmrw! Okay, cuts the boys loose for the day and I’m into the office (630ish) usually my paperwork takes 15-20min, but also the bosses and myself start the plan for tmrw! Sometimes, we leave at 7…sometimes it’s closer to 730….oh gawd I’m beat! Okay, cool, what’s for dinner? Oops forgot, not tonight!! It’s three day old left overs…get it into ya!! 30 min drive to motel, pack a lunch, shower, eat some more food, and most importantly, what I truly look forward to, family phone calls, and then hopefully I go to sleep around 930-10! Lately, it’s odd, I haven’t been sleeping! Nopers, I’m getting 3-4hrs and that’s about it! Staring at walls, and blinds and roofs! Haha.

You wanna hear something odd? I have learnt that, if I’m watching people work, just being a boss and not one of the boys, I get anxious and start to stress out! Yeah for reals! It truly bothers me to not be in the ditches. So what am I gonna do about it? Well, I have to learn to handle this new found “stress”.  Like it really bothers me. Its been pointed out that I’ll slowly move around in large circles or I’ll medium pace pace. Or I just stand there all tense like. A fair bit of the time I do not realize I’m doing these things until I’m knee deep into a hole I just walked!! I have to learn, that’s what the crew gets paid for, that’s literally why they got hired… doesn’t mean I’m not going to get in there and work, but I do have to almost take a step back and let them have at it. This crew we have been together for four and a bit months. We know what to do. We know who does what and when they should do it. Everyone knows their place! 

Even the young 20 year old kid with a mouth on him! He learnt! He learnt the hard way. I tried really hard to remind him that, sure I like to joke about and have a good time, but sometimes, you gotta read the play and not spout off. That didn’t work. So I spoke about if he even knows the verbal and physical ways to tell if someone has had enough. No?!? Weeellllllll, he decided to keep digging a hole with me! He didn’t know his limits, so I taught him some manners! He ran away from interrupting me and some higher ups with his tail between his legs! I not so politely promised him I was not going to hit him, but I am going to head butt him if he spouts off one more time! Now, be a good young man and get out of this ditch and get something done! A few hours later, after keeping a safe distance, he apologized and asked what he did wrong! He truly didn’t understand! I apologized for threatening him, and asked him to really work on learning when enough is enough, because he damn near ate my hard hat! I reminded him that the good lord gave him two ears and one mouth for a reason and he best figure that one out before I sort it out for him! I don’t want your fear, but now, you start back at zero with me. Start earning my respect, not the crews laughter! The crew won’t keep him around, my reports and daily boss talks will keep him around, and yes I have had to have a conversation with the big boss about keeping him on site! He promised he’d change his attitude, and he has! We shake hands and moved on! He’s been gold ever since! Still cracks his jokes, appropriately, he’s still a great hand, and now he’s far better! Hahaha. Since that day, I’ve complimented him a few times on his work ethic and how he’s changed things for the better! 

Anyhow, that’s enough outta me I guess! Not really sure on what else to talk about! Soon I’ll be back training online with everyone! Soon! So close friends. For a few weeks anyhow. Until the next one starts! 

And with that being said

Have a great night and thanks for reading my ramblings 

Mr.Duncan


No comments:

Post a Comment