Monday, 11 July 2022

Ahhh work, isn't it dandy

 Hello there. Its me, Mr.D. yeah back for another instalment of whats going on today!?!?!

Well, let me tell you what. It has definatly been a few days. I mean, where does a guy start? All sorts of issues kind of hitting us all at once. Like seriously. What the heck. Too many people looking at the mountains and not enough people looking at their jobs? I don't have the answers. I have only a speculatin or two, and that's one of them.

Yeah, i had a guy on my crew. No, he is still a kid and he needs to find his own path. I have had this young man under my wing for five almost six months in total. I have worked near him a total of ten months. Solid hand! Great worker, indeed. But an attitude that just like, holy cow, boom outta no where absolute refusal to do the task i gave him. and no, its not the best job, it sucks. It was flagging on a road. No, not the coolest job, but, i had my reasoning. One, When asked to put my crew together, I had in mind a go-to truck. The boys that can do it all for me. Dig, flag, move equipment, help set-up sites, so on and so forth. ANd ya know, it was pretty solid, until, he had to flag for me. 

Now, because, this young lad was such an awesome worker and just solid to have around, yeah, here, go flag dude. have a free afternoon of just standing and chilling about. I know standing there sucks, but, it will be on quiet roads only, and ill try to find you shade. From both guys, yeah no problem. It will be great Will, we have your back, blah blah blah...

So he pulls a refusal to do dangerous work! Now, that is actually really serious. I go to start the conversation about how we can mitigate and understand what is going on with the dangerous work. 

The roads busy and he doesn't want to dodge the cars speeding by.. We are on a quiet residential road. 3 hours, six cars. All driving slow, because ya know, no one actually wants to hit anyone..

There is not enough communication between the signal persons...we gave them working radios that i made sure work. We are within speaking distance to the work actually being done. There is no lack of communication

He did not have the proper gear, because he refused to go get the proper gear from the tool crib him, as i asked and not tell me about it until I asked him where it is when it was time to go and get to work. he was mad I sent him back to the tool crib to get the gear. 

His final argument is he didnt have his paper copy of his flagging ticket on him, so he legally could not flag. He told me this after i made up my mind to drive him into the yard and give him to safety to deal with. did not have it because he threw it out the window of his vehicle. 

Blehh... not even excuses man. After, we give him truck privildges, after raises, after praise, he thinks he can pull a stunt like this after ten months of pipelining? You do not pull that stunt after ten years experince, unless, it actually is dangerous. Then, all the power to ya. Not for this one. This is lazy. And unfortuanatly, everyone in the offices know this. All the bosses, the other spreads and bosses over on the other few projects... it is too bad, he had second chance after second chance. I literally got into an argument with the boss over even hiring this kid. Yes, bossman, you where right. 

Learning curve I suppose. So much so, I kinda sat a really contemplated if this is on me. I needed to know. One way or the other. And i honestly know, that i am "clean" in this situation. This is all on that young fella. It is too bad. maybe he can get another shot at another company, but, we are a very tightnit group. There is only so many of us in all of western canada. And we all know each other. 

I know people on three major projects, and i dont know how many smaller projects. I personally have been around for the better part of six years. My boss has fourty-two years in the buisnesss. He knows everyone. Ha. I almost feel bad for the young lad, but, you dont get to pull stunt after stunt and disrespect every single person you want just to get out of flagging. That is not how its gonna work. Ever. 

I mean, besides that, the job is going well. I feel anyhow. I am trying to slow down and follow the steps. Really concentrate about just making sure I have my paperwork my ducks and, especially my path forwards.  One foot in front of the other. so to speak. 

Anyhow, talk at ya later

Mr.Duncan










No comments:

Post a Comment