Sunday, 17 May 2020

high five

Hey ho, let’s go! So, how’s your day? So far, mines decent! This is great! Nice weather, most of the garden is planted, and flowers are popping like crazy! We went to a greenhouse, the wife and I, big date afternoon for us! I’d rather spend my time and energy in a greenhouse then almost anywhere else, if I have to go out! It’s a feeling of calmness and myself personally, I really feel at home with plants and flowers and trees surrounding me. The concrete jungle isn’t for me. No people’s, I really don’t like the look of concrete. Steel on the other hand, I love the look and smell of raw iron just standing and chilling up there! Myself, if I could, I’d build a steel structure for a house and simply leave the iron exposed, let it get that nice rusty look to it. And, man, I’d climb my house! Turn it into a jungle gym! To get into bed you gotta climb vertically 3m up a square tubed colum, to the next level of 4” beams running horizontally in all sorts of directions, but only one path to your bed! Which, oddly, is elevated another 3m off the already 3m high floor. So another colum to climb, but this one is an I-beam standing on edge. It’s easier to climb than square tubing. Back to the old ironworking days....yowie wowie that was a hard left!

    Seriously, though, how you doing? You getting meaningful reps in? Are you asking questions and pushing your mind to try to understand what our teachers are dropping on us? Have you developed any sense of uniqueness into our Kung fu? I am trying hard as well.

   Questions that I have and ask every day! Hey, some days I’m getting reps and reps and reps in, other days, I get some reps in. Not always do I hit my high end targets. And I think that’s cool for now. Getting the garden and yard ready to try and grow a pile of food for this upcoming winter. That’s honestly been my goals these last few days. Ensure the garden is ready and healthy, because I could kick off any time here, for work. I’m just a phone call and a days notice away from living outta my bag again! No sweat! Preparation and planning makes for productive times. I don’t wanna go back though boss, can’t we just Covid forever?

   Big breath and this week in Kung fu, man it was another killer week. Did some work with Sifu Vantuil online. And in that tenish min meeting, I received “Kempo I”. I studied kempo for a IHC year and Sifu Wiebe pushed those forms hard on us. Tell you what, I couldn’t remember it. I’ve done it literally over one thousand reps, years ago, so I knew it was in there. Sifu Vantuil was like you just need a refresher and here it is, the mind was like oh yeah, and the body was like oh man, does this feel good! I love Kung fu! Now, I have the motions from Da Mu Hsing into kempo I. Next week, kempo II. Again, I apologize for the lack of proper names. I’m struggling there. Names, never been a strong thing for me. Can’t even remember mine some days, there’s so many of them.....

    Another huge flaw that keeps me awake at night, is leaning. Leaning in my strikes, leaning when I move. I look like a zig zag some days. Well, that’s how it feels. Still, shoot yeah, this won’t go away. So, booked a session with Sifu Brinker and ask those questions. More solid feedback, and I feel now I’m making progress in getting quadrants working together. It’s still gonna take some time to get those muscles firing at the same time as the skeleton, but, I’ll tell you what, I used to be able to move and flow and strike, just as we are asked to. I used to and I will again! Shortly, a new personal goal! I want that back. I’ll get back there. Get that hip involved again. I can feel it too. Like, it’s right there. It’s like, it’s like having the very tips of my fingers on the ledge of a cliff. Holding on for dear life.  Almost there. A little more effort and I’ll have a handful of ledge, and shortly from there, I’ll break through that peak, and there will be far less to no lean.  But today, I want to focus on just getting that deep snap. Settling back into those stances. Staying compressed, not small; staying fluidly ready, not rigid.

    I do not practice Kung fu, I am Kung fu. This is my life, this is what I do. This is what I know. When I’m swinging my stick around, it’s a part of me. Some folks like bikes and others like other stuff. I like tearing into my techniques, sorting out what it all does and how it mechanically works, and trying things this way, or with that thrown in there. I love looking into and trying to develope mass destruction using only my body. I like slowing down fights and disecting movements. Hmmm, if I grabbed that leg instead of blocking it away...oh goodness now I have ahold of you.....hahahahaha!! Oh that can turn into a choke hold, or a setup for the old one two three four, now your sleeping. That’s one of my passions. You wanna study fights and strikes and build some cool stuff? Give me a ring a ding.

When that sword strikes collar bone, that’s an extension of my hand hitting there. My weapons are me, and I’m my weapons. I can strike hard and fast or I can strike soft and critically. My weapon does not have a mind of its own when it takes off and does whatever, I have not connected with my weapon yet on that day. I’m not paying enough attention to the little things.

When I am paying attention to my weapon, it’s effortless. The movements fly out of me, and I just flow. When I start to “correct”  the weapon and break it’s momentum, I am stopping myself from fluidly moving as well. Now, I got to start over, all that expendended energy just to start over!?! I find, when I stand back and let the weapon lead, and I fill in the blanks and ask questions its just better that way.

Well, my kids are doing the dad dad dad are you watching  dad dad dad dad, watch this! Dad dad dad dad dad!  Wow, you stood on one leg and swung your hands in the air......man, where’s my dog, he’s not...oh he’s eating cat poop...okay....this is where we are today! Haha. Just kidding. Not really...

I see it’s time to release  Big Bad Dad and get the Duncan Federation Wrestling Heavy Weight Championship of the Living Room back. I lost it a few months ago to the kids. Gonna stop pulling my kicks!

Anyways, thanks for your time
Mr.Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment