Well shucks...my grandfather has just spoken with his doctor. Things they don’t look very good right now. Hopefully he can see his next birthday. He’s lived a life, imma tell you that. There was not one person who told Gramps what to do... and that’s the end of that!
Farm kid. Grew up in sask. Neville I think is the place! Anyhow a heck of a farming community. I’ve been there once and wow what a blast into last century. A gas station in the middle of town. General store in the same little building. Everyone’s homes where all on the same horseshoe road into and out of town. Had a hockey rink though!! That was what everyone did was play hockey and farm!!
Big strong man! As a kid he towered over me. As an adult I still had to look up to his eyes. Not so much today, but that’s okay. I’ll always look up to my Gramps.
A man of few words he was. He told you straight and once. If you didn’t hear him then that was on you! Some days he’d speak so quietly you think he’s whispering. But, you were paying attention weren’t ya! You had to in order to carry on in the conversation. Otherwise he was content to sit awkwardly quiet with you... what a gem! He’s just look over at you! Give ya a smile and a nod and keep sitting quietly! That’s when you knew you where doing solid! The small smile!
Picking rocks with him, oh my gawd, tractors in 4th gear and you’re 8! Getting hollared at. Trying not to cry from whatever my problem is!! Hahaha. Man. What a time we had. I learnt how to drive with grandpa Irv. I’ll tell you this one. I’m like 12. Me and Gramps we are fencing. Just him and I. Happy days. I’d hold the fence post and he’d run the pounder on the tractor. So I run outta fence posts and we had to go get the pickup. So we get to the truck! Grandpa says “you’re driving. Get in don’t spill my drink.” He always had a whiskey with him. No questions needed. So we get back to the tractor and I slammed on the brakes, not knowing about easing into the brakes...I honestly didn’t know. But I knew after that....so at the age of 16, I’m getting my license doing my drivers exam and no kidding the instructor complimented me on easing into the brakes! Boom! Old man lessons paid off!!
Anyhow. Gramps he’s still with his. He’s got a pile of hard work to do like right now. He will get through this. I mean. It’s Gramps, muther fucker is gonna tell the reaper to come back when he’s told to! I could see the chat with reaper too! Grandpa, jut says nope, not going today, try again you....I’ll decide and it’s not today.
Yeah good old Gramps. Whenever I think of or envision him I always picture him with his cowboy hat and his jean jackets of sorts. The day defined the denim!! He always did define the last of the old school farmers! I’m sure there’s still many out there, but there won’t be another Irv Duncan I’ll tell you that much for free friends!
I wish you the best Gramps!
Here’s to tomorrow’s cup of coffee!!
No comments:
Post a Comment